Saturday, September 11, 2010

Artist of the Once and A While: Diane Arbus

Identical Twins, Roselle, NJ. 1967

Puerto Rian woman with a beauty mark, N.Y.C. 1965


Diane Arbus

So, I am going to try this new thing called Artist of the once and a while. I don't want to call it week or month because frankly I want to be able to do it whenever I want. And I do realize I could still call it artist of the week and not do that and probably no one would notice but I would know that I am lying to myself. This way I am being truthful.

My first artist of the Once and A While I discovered while I was exploring the Moma, her name is Diane Arbus (1923-1971). Her medium is photography, known for her portriats. She was known for taking photographs of "freaks." What I found most intriging about her and her work was that she tried to photograph the essences of the "freaks." She grew up in New York in a wealthy family during the depression and constantly felt asthough people just saw her as the rich girl, and no one saw her as who she really was. She tried to take pictures of people without there masks on. She would wait a while until people weren't paying attention, or when people were at their height up "freakness." Unfortunately she suffered from depression and took her own life.

There is a film based on her photography and her life called Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus (2006) directed by Steven Shainburg. It is a completely made up story. I just finished watching it. I am not sure if I would recommend it, it's slightly disturbing, in an making you feel uncomfortable sort of way. Truthfully I don't think I completely understood it. I felt as though it was trying to be very deep but I couldn't figure it out. It mostly showed me she strangely attracted to "freaks" and how she doesn't feel asthough she fits in. Check it out if you're in the mood for a weird film.

No comments:

Post a Comment